Monday, June 13, 2011

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Details
Publisher:  HarperTeen (2011)
Pages:  448
Content:  L- Sparse light swearing, S- Kissing, V- Mild paranormal

Recommened Age: 14+
Source:  Dorchester County Library


Front Flap Description
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel.  Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
   Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town.  When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place--and out of place at the same time.  Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
   As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make--between honest and deceit, love and duty, good and evil.  When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

My Thoughts
While perusing the shelves of my library, I was drawn to this book by its gorgeous cover.  I know they say never to judge a book by its cover, but I admit that a beautiful cover combined with an intriguing one-word title gets me every time.  I had not heard of this book previously, so I had no expectations.  But I had hopes.  I hoped this would be a unique and interesting take on angels, I hoped the author would create a rich world that would pull me in, and I hoped the romantic aspects would be realistic and fun.  I was not disappointed.
  The majority of the story takes place in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and although I generally detest cold climates, I found myself wanting to ski and cozy up in a nice log cabin.  The main character, Clara, is very likeable and relatable, and the author portrays her honestly.  The leading men in the book are also very crushworthy- especially Tucker (in my opinion).  And the supporting characters- friends, family, classmates, etc. are well realized and fill out the book nicely.
  And then, of course, there are the angels.  I have read many books featuring fallen angels, and this is not like any of them.  This is likely due to the main angelic characters in this book being "angel-bloods" and not full angels.  They are very human with some extraordinary talents.  And of course, you can't have a good urban fantasy without a dark side, and Hand provides some not-so-good angels as well (that's an understatement- her Dark Wings are quite evil).
  This is not an overly fast-paced book, but in this case I didn't mind.  The author created a world that was developed well enough that I didn't mind settling in and enjoying the slice-of-life moments.  Overall, I was pleased with this book and how it handled the interweaving themes of destiny vs. agency, duty vs. love, and deception vs. trust.  And while the plot of this story wrapped up nicely, it certainly left a good deal of mystery.  I eagerly await the sequel.
   And if you have read the book and want to hear more of my thoughts on it, click here and join the discussion.

Rating
5/5  Loved it!

1 comment:

  1. oh i've been dying to read this one. i can't wait to hear what you have to say about it!

    ReplyDelete